Bachelor of Arts in Public Relations
No mid-year intake for this qualification.
Minimum: 3 years
Maximum: 5 years
Qualification start date
Semester 1: February
Semester 2: None
The BA (Public Relations) is a rigorous, comprehensive and career- oriented programme that prepares you for work in the dynamic and constantly evolving field of Public Relations (PR) and communication.
Studying a BA (Public Relations) will prepare you for a multi-disciplinary environment where PR is increasingly viewed as a strategic imperative for modern organisations. You will cover PR and media specific core modules, as well as more general communication and commercial subject areas. The core modules are Public Relations, Communication Science, English, Marketing, Journalism Writing and Media Theory. You also cover subject areas such as Internet Marketing, Broadcast Journalism, Business Ethics and Webpage Design, as well as a choice of specialised electives.
Much of the success of our BA (Public Relations) degree is due to our inspired teaching staff, a curriculum that is relevant and ahead of trends, and state-of-the-art media facilities. Most importantly, our focus is on real-world application, completing projects, and on practising essential PR skills such as writing, presenting, researching and planning. This blended approach ensures that you gain essential skills and PR-specific abilities such as communicating effectively, building relationships, collaborating with others, meeting deadlines, self-management and being creative.
- You need a South African National Senior Certificate (NSC) with Bachelor degree entry or an equivalent foreign secondary qualification on an NSC level with Bachelor degree entry approved by Universities South Africa (USAF).
- You should have successfully completed the relevant Pearson Institute foundation programme. On successful completion of the foundation programme, students are required to apply to Universities South Africa (USAF) for a certificate of exemption in order to be admitted to a degree programme.
- You should have successfully completed a relevant higher certificate qualification. On successful completion of the higher certificate, students are required to apply to Universities South Africa (USAF) for a certificate of exemption in order to be admitted to a degree programme.
- You need 25 or more Pearson Institute points.
- You need 50% or above for Grade 12 English.
Accredited by the Higher Education Quality Committee (HEQC) of the Council on Higher Education (CHE).ï Registered with the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA).
Possible career options
Help businesses build relationships.
The career choices for you, as a Bachelor of Arts in Public Relations graduate, are varied and employment options include:
- Brand management
- Events management
- Government relations
- Media liaison
- Public relations
- Speech writing