Bachelor of Arts in Graphic Design
No mid-year intake for this qualification.
Minimum: 3 years
Maximum: 5 years
Qualification start date
Semester 1: February
Semester 2: None
The BA (Graphic Design) is a comprehensive and career-focused qualification that prepares you for work in the highly competitive and rewarding world of design. Graphic designers are visual communicators, who develop creative concepts and designs to promote or enhance products, services and organisations.
You will develop a broad theoretical foundation and practical experience in various core areas of graphic design such as Design Studio, Digital Design, Drawing, Web Design, Typography and Animation. The emphasis throughout is on intensive studio-based design training where you will practice and experiment with a range of mediums from drawing to photography, to digital design. In addition, you will acquire broader skills and knowledge in Business English, Communication Science and Business Management, which will assist you in your world of work.
We attribute the success of this degree to our dedicated and industry- experienced teaching staff, a curriculum that is relevant and ahead of trends, and state-of-the-art facilities. Most importantly, our focus is on real-world application, completing projects, attending workshops and on practising essential design skills. This blended approach ensures that you graduate as well-rounded, highly skilled and self-reflective designers with additional skills for the workplace, such as working independently, meeting deadlines and communicating effectively.
- You need a South African National Senior Certificate (NSC) with Bachelor degree entry or an equivalent foreign secondary qualification on an NSC level with Bachelor degree entry approved by Universities South Africa (USAF).
- If you have an international school-leaving certificate, you need to provide a certificate of exemption issued by Universities South Africa (USAF).
- A prospective student should have successfully completed the relevant Pearson Institute foundation programme. On successful completion of the foundation programme, students are required to apply to Universities South Africa (USAF) for a certificate of exemption in order to be admitted to a degree programme.
- A prospective student should have successfully completed a relevant higher certificate qualification. On successful completion of the higher certificate, students are required to apply to Universities South Africa (USAF) for a certificate of exemption in order to be admitted to a degree programme.
- You need 25 or more Pearson Institute points.
- You need the approval of a portfolio.
- Accredited by the Higher Education Quality Committee (HEQC) of the Council on Higher Education (CHE).
- Registered with the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA). Pearson Institute is a member of DEFSA:
- The Design Education Forum of Southern Africa (DEFSA) is a professional organization of design educators, spanning most design disciplines such as industrial, graphic, interior, clothing, ceramic, textile, jewellery, as well as commercially focused photography. The forum consists of design educators and practitioners furthering the interests and promoting excellence in design education.
- DEFSA is a recognised design educator body (http://www.defsa.org.za/) for educators’ purpose and provides a conference platform to publish research and includes moderators for specialist design subjects.
Possible career options
Make design your way of life.
The career choices for you, as a Bachelor of Arts in Graphic Design graduate, are varied
and employment options include:
- Desktop publishing
- Information Architect
- Interactive Design
- Layout and illustration
- Mobile Application Design
- Packaging Design
- Social Media Communication
- Social Media Design
- Video Editing
- Web design
- 3D modelling