Higher Certificate in Business Management
Yes. Mid-year intake starts the same date as Semester 2. (Optional duration 1 – 1.5 years)
Minimum: 1 years (full-time)
Maximum: 3 years
Qualification start date
Semester 1: February
Semester 2: July (Subject to change)
The higher certificate prepares you for work in the business environment as it introduces you to the core disciplines of the modern workplace. It is also a good stepping-stone for those who do not meet the entry requirements for a degree but wish to gain entry to the PI Bachelor of Commerce after completing this programme.
The focus of the higher certificate is on the key areas of business management, human resource management and marketing. You will also cover Mathematics for Business, Academic English, Computer and Personal Skills Development, Business Communication, Small Business Development and bookkeeping. Within the curriculum, you will be introduced to topical business subject areas such as the elements of the marketing mix, Microsoft Office Applications, recruitment, management and leadership, governance and sustainability in business.
Because of our unique teaching and learning approaches, you will also start developing essential skills for the world of work, such as effective problem solving, critical thinking, working in teams and communicating effectively.
On completion of the Higher Certificate in Business Management,
you can apply for a Credit Transfer (CT) or Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) to study towards the PI Bachelor of Commerce degree.
- You need a South African National Senior Certificate (NSC) with certificate or diploma entry or an equivalent foreign secondary qualification on an NSC level (NQF 4) confirmed by SAQA.
- If you have an international school-leaving certificate, you need to provide a certificate of exemption issued by Universities South Africa (USAF).
- Accredited by the Higher Education Quality Committee (HEQC) of the Council on Higher Education (CHE) of South Africa.
- Registered with the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA).
Possible career options
Are you excited to understand more about business?
The career choices for you, as a Higher Certificate in Business Management graduate, are varied and employment options include:
- General administration
- Human resource administration
- Marketing administration
- Sales consultation