Bachelor of Commerce in Tourism Management
There is a Mid-year intake for selected modules.
Minimum: 3 years
Maximum: 5 years Full-time
Qualification start date
Semester 1: February
Semester 2: July
Tourism is one of the fastest growing industries in the world and is increasingly important to the global economy.
Our Bachelor of Commerce in Tourism Management is a unique degree for this sector. It provides you with broad theoretical as well as comprehensive practical understanding of the core areas of tourism management and a strong foundation in commerce. You will cover subject areas such as Business Management, Economics and Marketing and tourism-specific modules like Tourism Geography, Festivals and Events, Airfares and Ticketing, Destination Marketing and Global Distribution Systems. In addition, you will complete modules such as Business English, Computer Skills and an Introduction to Financial Accounting. Because of our programme’s unique emphasis on application, you will select, conduct and present a research project and complete Work Integrated Learning (WIL) in your third year.
The success of our BCom (Tourism Management) degree lies in our excellent relationships in the tourism industry, our dedicated teaching staff, a curriculum that is relevant and ahead of trends, and our Technology
Enhance Learning (TEL) environment. By introducing you to research, we are also preparing you for honours studies, a unique offering in undergraduate programmes. This blended approach ensures that you graduate with essential work skills such as critical thinking, effective problem solving, self-discipline, collaborating in team situations, interacting with diverse groups of people and communicating effectively.
- You need a South African National Senior Certificate (NSC) with Bachelor degree entry or an equivalent foreign secondary qualification on an NSC level with Bachelor degree entry approved by Universities South Africa (USAF).
- If you have an international school-leaving certificate, you need to provide a certificate of exemption issued by Universities South Africa (USAF).
You should have successfully completed the relevant Pearson Institute foundation programme. On successful completion of the foundation programme, students are required to apply to Universities South Africa (USAF) for a certificate of
exemption in order to be admitted to a degree programme.
- You should have successfully completed a relevant higher certificate qualification. On successful completion of the higher certificate, students are required to apply to Universities South Africa (USAF) for a certificate of exemption in order to be admitted to a degree programme.
- You need at least 25 Pearson Institute points.
- Accredited by the Higher Education Quality Committee (HEQC) of the Council on Higher Education (CHE).
- Registered with the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA).
- Endorsed by the Midrand Tourism Association.
Possible career options
See the world every day.
The career choices for you, as a Bachelor of Commerce in Tourism Management graduate, are varied and include:
- Eco-tourism planning and management
- Event management
- Strategic tourism and management
- Tour and travel operations