Bachelor of Commerce Honours in Business Management
No mid-year intake for this qualification.
Minimum: 1 year (Full-time)
Maximum: 2 years (Part-time)
Qualification start date
Semester 1: February
Semester 2: None
The BCom Hons (Business Management) is a highly demanding postgraduate degree. The main objective is to extend your knowledge of business, commerce and management theory, through academic research and practical application.
Our qualification provides you with advanced knowledge and skills in six compulsory modules. These modules are Strategic Management, Project Management, Organisational Behaviour, Finance for Non-specialists, Research Methodology and Research Dissertation. Within the structure of the two research subject areas, you will direct and drive your own independent research project that will culminate in a dissertation, under the guidance of a supervisor. In Strategic Management, you will cover the strategic and change issues facing modern organisations. In Project Management, you will learn how to plan, organise and manage projects with an emphasis on finding new and innovative ways of doing so. In Organisational Behaviour, the focus is on what affects organisational effectiveness and behaviour. In Finance for Non-Specialists, you will learn how to use accounting statements and financial information to improve business decision-making.
What makes our honours degree unique is not only its academic rigour but its emphasis on real-world application. As a BCom Hons (Business Management) graduate, you will be very competitive in the job market because you will have gained advanced skills like critical, analytical and independent thinking, self-discipline, perseverance, finding innovative solutions to business issues, working in groups and communicating effectively.
This programme is an excellent route to further Master’s degree studies in commerce and to academic and professional careers in a range of business, management and consulting environments.
- You need a recognised undergraduate BCom degree, with Business Management and Strategic Management at the third-year level and Accounting, Economics and Statistics at the first-year level or equivalent for the specific honours degree.
- You need a minimum of 60% average during the exit year of the applicable undergraduate degree.
- Specific modules may be required to have been completed at the undergraduate level.
- If you are a Pearson Institute student studying towards any of our undergraduate BCom degrees, you qualify to enrol for the BCom Hons (Business Management), providing you meet the Honours degree requirements. If you have not completed Accounting 1, you may enrol on the condition that you complete Accounting 1 in the first semester while doing the Honours programme.
- Accredited by the Higher Education Quality Committee (HEQC) of the Council on Higher Education (CHE).
- Registered with the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA).
Possible career options
Become a leader in business.
The career choices for you, as a Bachelor of Commerce Honours in Business Management graduate, are varied and include:
- Business consulting
- Market research
- Project management
- Strategic management