Short Learning Programme in IT Engineering
Minimum: 8 months full-time
Maximum: 20 months part-time
Full-time or Part-time
Qualification start date
Student can start any week of the month of January and February. Thereafter from March to December students can start the first Monday of each month.
The specialised Short Learning Programme in IT Engineering is intensive and career-orientated. It prepares you for the world of work and acts as a very effective stepping stone to further studies in any of our Higher Certificates in Information Systems (IS). You will develop the knowledge and skills for work in a range of technical or support functions in the IT industry.
This Short Learning Programme provides you with a sound theoretical foundation of, and practical experience in operating system, computer systems and networking. The emphasis throughout is on technical application and on identifying and solving hardware-related problems. The core subject areas include A+ Preparation, Network+ Preparation, Windows Server, Security+ Preparation and an Introduction to Virtualisation. You also cover two broad topics that will be useful in any computer and business environment, namely Computer Literacy and Personal Skills Development.
The success of our Short Learning Programmes is due to our unique Mastery Learning Methodology (MLM). This modular self-directed learning approach, gives you the flexibility to start and progress through the programme at a pace that best suits you. This learning methodology, together with our cutting-edge facilities such as computer labs, IS open learning areas, hardware pods and smart pods, will prepare you for the real IT work environment of the future.
Over and above this, you will start developing essential skills for the world of work, especially for the IT industry, such as analysing and solving real problems, applying logic, being innovative and adaptable, collaborating in team situations and communicating effectively.
On completion of the Short Learning Programme, you can apply for a Credit Transfer (CT) or Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) to study towards a PI Higher Certificates in the relevant field.
- You need a South African National Senior Certificate (NSC) for diploma or certificate purposes and placement assessment.
- If you have an international school-leaving certificate or a foreign secondary qualification, you need to provide a certificate of exemption issued by Universities South Africa (USAF).
- Obtain the required results in the Placement Assessment.
- It is a PI programme with modules that may articulate into the accredited Higher Certificates in Information Systems (Engineering and Network Engineering), at NQF level 5.
- We have a partnership with CompTIA (Computing Technology Information Association). CompTIA is an association directing its focus on the IT industry.
- Due to this partnership with CompTIA, as a graduate of this programme, you will qualify to write the CompTIA exams, at no additional cost to you. This is for the first sitting only and subject to you being on time with your study schedule and that you have not switched from the initial programme you enrolled for.
- This Short Learning Programme is not accredited by the Higher Education Quality Committee (HEQC), nor is it registered with the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) however the modules within the short learning programme contains the accredited NQF level 5 modules which allows for direct articulation into the full qualifications.
Possible career options
Step into the world of computer systems
The career choices for you, as a Short Learning Programme in IT Engineering graduate, include junior positions in:
- Network administration
- IT support