Short Learning Programme in Basic Programming
Minimum: 8 months full-time
Maximum: 20 months part-time
Full-time or Part-time
Qualification start date
Student can start any week of the month of January and February. Thereafter from March to December students can start the first Monday of each month.
The specialised Short Learning Programme in Basic Programming is intensive and career-orientated. It prepares you for the world of work and acts as a very effective stepping stone to further studies in any of our Higher Certificates in Information Systems (IS). You will develop the knowledge and skills for work in the programming environment of the IT industry.
This Short Learning Programme provides you with a fair grounding of theoretical foundation of, and practical experience in the basics of one programming language, one database language and the use of one main operating system. The emphasis throughout is on application. The core subject areas include Programme Design, Software Engineering, Database Design and Management, and either Java or C# as the programming language. You also cover topics such as Computer Literacy, Personal Skills Development and Processing and Logic Concepts.
Much of the success of our Short Learning Programmes is due to our unique Mastery Learning Methodology (MLM). This modular self-directed learning approach, gives you the flexibility to start and progress through the programme at a pace that best suits you. This learning methodology, together with our cutting-edge facilities such as computer labs, IS open learning areas and smart pods, will prepare you for the real IT work environment of the future.
Over and above this, you will start developing essential skills for the world of work, especially for the IT industry, such as analysing and solving real problems, applying logic, being innovative and adaptable, working in teams and communicating effectively.
On completion of the Short Learning Programme, you can apply for a Credit Transfer (CT) or Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) to study towards a PI Higher Certificates in the relevant field.
- You need a South African National Senior Certificate (NSC) for diploma or certificate purposes and placement assessment.
- If you have an international school-leaving certificate or a foreign secondary qualification, you need to provide a certificate of exemption issued by Universities South Africa (USAF).
- Obtain the required results in the Placement Assessment.
- It is a PI programme with modules that may articulate into the accredited Higher Certificates in Information Systems (Internet Development, Engineering and Software Development), at NQF level 5.
- This Short Learning Programme is not accredited by the Higher Education Quality Committee (HEQC), nor is it registered with the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) however the modules within the short learning programme contains the accredited NQF level 5 modules which allows for direct articulation into the full qualifications.
Possible career options
Learn the language of computers
The career choices for you, as a Short Learning Programme in Basic Programming graduate, include junior positions in:
- Database administration