Bachelor of Science Honours in Information Technology
There is a mid-year intake for this qualification but only for certain modules. Modules that students will qualify to do in the middle of the year will be Advanced Project Management and Soft Skills for IT Professionals. The mid-year intake starts the first week of the second semester. Mid-year intake students will be studying a minimum of 1 and ½ years not just 1 year.
Minimum: 1 years
Maximum: 2 years
Qualification start date
Semester 1: February
Semester 2: July
The BSc Hons (Information Technology) is a highly challenging postgraduate degree that prepares you for senior positions in the computer industry, for entrepreneurship and for academia.
Our qualification provides you with advanced knowledge and practical skills in seven compulsory modules with a strong emphasis on database administration, project management, business analysis, programming and information systems’ design. You will cover modules such as Soft Skills Development for IT Professionals, Information Systems, Computer Science
and Databases. Within the structure of two research modules, you will direct and drive your own independent research project that will culminate in a dissertation. In addition, you will learn how to plan, organise and manage projects with an emphasis on finding now and innovative ways of doing so. You will develop skills that are crucial for the workplace and for management such as critical, analytical and independent thinking, meeting deadlines, perseverance and adaptability, working in groups and communicating effectively.
We attribute the success of this honours degree to its unique blend of academic rigour and real-world application as well as a curriculum that is relevant, current and industry driven. For all these reasons, our graduates have excellent management and entrepreneurial abilities, which make them highly sought after in commerce and in IT.
- You need a recognised undergraduate BSc degree in Informatics, computer Science, Internet Communication, Information Technology or Information Systems or equivalent for the specific honours degree.
- You need a minimum of 60% average during the exit year of the applicable undergraduate degree.
- Specific modules may be required to have been completed at undergraduate level.
- Accredited by the Higher Education Quality Committee (HEQC) of the Council on Higher Education (CHE).
- Registered with the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA). Recognised by the Information Technology Association (ITA).
- Due to Pearson Institute’s membership of the Institution of
- Information Technology Professionals South Africa (IITPSA), as a student you become a member without paying membership fees.
Possible career options
Lead the way in the computer industry.
The careers for you, as a Bachelor of Science Honours in Information Technology graduate, are varied and include:
- Database administration
- IT management
- Project administration
- Specialist technical positions in data mining and enterprise architecture
- Systems analysis and design