Higher Certificate in Information Technology (Information Systems)
Yes, midyear intake starts Semester 2.
Minimum: 1 year
Maximum: 3 years
Qualification start date
Semester 1: February
(duration 1 years)
Semester 2: July
(duration 1.5 years)
The Higher Certificate in Information Technology in Information Systems prepares you for work in any area of information technology in any business. It is also a very good stepping-stone for those of you who do not meet the entry requirements for a degree but wish to gain entry to the Bachelor of Science in Information Technology after completing this qualification.
The higher certificate overs the fundamental areas of information technology to ensure you gain a broad understanding of, and more intense practical experience in, computer systems, information systems, programming, database design and management, networking technologies, visual programming and the use of a variety of computer applications.
You also cover subject areas such as academic English, mathematics for information technology, human-computer interaction and personal skills development, to ensure you gain a balance of theoretical, technical and practical skills.
Because of our unique teaching and learning approaches, you will also start developing essential skills for the world of work, such as analysing and solving real problems, exploring new ideas, being adaptable, working in teams and communicating effectively.
On completion of the Higher Certificate in Information Systems, you can apply for a Credit Transfer (CT) or Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) to study towards the PI Bachelor of Science in IT degree.
- You need a South African National Senior Certificate (NSC) with certificate or diploma entry or an equivalent foreign secondary qualification on an NSC level (NQF 4) confirmed by SAQA.
- If you have an international school-leaving certificate, you need to provide a certificate of exemption issued by Universities South Africa (USAF).
- Obtain the required results in the Placement Assessment.
- Accredited by the Higher Education Quality Committee (HEQC) of the Council on Higher Education (CHE).
- Registered with the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA).
Possible career options
Always wanted to get inside a computer?
The career choices for you, as a Higher Certificate in Information Technology (Information Systems) graduate, are varied and employment opportunities exist in both IT and in business:
- IT administration
- IT business administration
- IT technical support
- Network technical support