Higher Certificate in Information Systems (Network Engineering)
Minimum: 1 year
full-time Maximum: 3 years part-time
Full-time or Part-time
Qualification start date
Student can start any week of the month of January and February. Thereafter from March to December students can start the first
Monday of each month.
The Higher Certificate in Information Systems (Network Engineering) is a broad and yet intensive and career-focus qualification that prepares you for work as a technical professional in a range of jobs in the IT engineering environment.
The Higher Certificate in Information Systems (Network Engineering) qualification provides you with diverse hardware skills. You will also develop theoretical and technical skills in computer networking and server administration. The emphasis throughout is on practical application. Some of the core subjects in the area of this qualification are A+ Preparation, Network+ Preparation, Security+ Preparation and Wireless Networks.
The core topics in the area of server knowledge include Windows Server, Network Infrastructure and Application Services. You will also cover topics such as Introduction to Virtualisation, Computer Literacy and Personal Skills Development. Throughout the qualification, you will complete technical projects so that you are able to repair and troubleshoot hardware problems.
We attribute much of the success of our Higher Certificate programmes in Information Systems (IS), to our unique Mastery Learning Methodology
(MLM). This modular self-directed learning approach, gives you the flexibility to start and progress through the programme at a pace that best suits you. This learning methodology, together with our cutting-edge facilities such as computer labs, IS open learning areas, hardware pods and smart pods, will prepare you for the real IT work environment of the future.
Over and above this, you will develop essential skills for the world of work, such as analysing and solving real problems, thinking logically, being innovative, being adaptable and self-disciplined, working in teams and communicating effectively.
On completion of the Higher Certificate in Information Systems, you can apply for a Credit Transfer (CT) or Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) to study towards the PI Bachelor of Science in IT degree.
- You need a South African National Senior Certificate (NSC) with certificate or diploma entry or an equivalent foreign secondary qualification on an NSC level (NQF 4) confirmed by SAQA.
- If you have an international school-leaving certificate, you need to provide a certificate of exemption issued by Universities South Africa (USAF).
- National Certificate (Vocational) level 4 issued by the Council of General and Further Education and Training.
- Obtain the required results in the Placement Assessment.
- Accredited by the Higher Education Quality Committee (HEQC) of the Council on Higher Education (CHE).
- Registered with the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) as a focus area of the Higher Certificate in Information Systems (Engineering).
- We have a partnership with CompTIA (Computing Technology Information Association). CompTIA is an association directing its focus on the IT industry.
Due to this partnership with CompTIA, as a graduate of this programme, you will qualify to write the CompTIA exams, at no additional cost to you. This is for the first sitting only and subject to you being on time with your study schedule and not switching from your initial programme enrolled for.
Possible career options
Do you have a logical mind and love to solve complex IT problems?
The career choices for you, as a Higher Certificate in Information Systems (Network Engineering) graduate, include junior positions in:
- IT support
- Server administration
- Network administration
- Hardware technician