Higher Certificate in Information Systems (Engineering)
Minimum: 1 year
full-time Maximum: 3 years part-time
Full-time or Part-time
Qualification start date
Student can start any week of the month of January and February. Thereafter from March to December students can start the first Monday of each month.
The Higher Certificate in Information Systems (Engineering) is a career-focused qualification that is intensive but also broad. It will develop your programming ability and hardware skills so that you can work in a range of areas in the IT industry.
The Higher Certificate in Information Systems (Engineering) provides you with solid theoretical and intensive practical foundation of one programming language and one database language, where the emphasis is on application. You will develop a balance of software and hardware knowledge as well as extensive technical experience. The core subject areas are Programming Language, Network+, Security+. You also cover topics such as general Computer Literacy, Processing and Logic. Throughout the qualification you will complete technical projects so that you are able to troubleshoot hardware problems.
We attribute much of the success of our Higher Certificate programmes in Information Systems (IS), to our unique Mastery Learning Methodology
(MLM). This modular self-directed learning approach, gives you the flexibility to start and progress through the programme at a pace that best suits you. This learning methodology, together with our cutting-edge facilities such as computer labs, IS open learning areas, hardware pods and smart pods, will prepare you for the real IT work environment of the future.
Over and above this, you will develop essential skills for the world of work, especially for the IT industry, such as analysing and solving real problems, logical thinking, being innovative and adaptable and communicating effectively.
On completion of the Higher Certificate in Information Systems, you can apply for a Credit Transfer (CT) or Recognition of Prior
Learning (RPL) to study towards the PI Bachelor of Science in IT degree.
- You need a South African National Senior Certificate (NSC) with certificate or diploma entry or an equivalent foreign secondary qualification on an NSC level (NQF 4) confirmed by SAQA.
- If you have an international school-leaving certificate, you need to provide a certificate of exemption issued by Universities South Africa (USAF).
- National Certificate (Vocational) level 4 issued by the Council of General and Further Education and Training.
- Obtain the required results in the Placement Assessment.
- Accredited by the Higher Education Quality Committee (HEQC) of the Council on Higher Education (CHE).
- Registered with the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA).
- We have a partnership with CompTIA (Computing Technology Information Association). CompTIA is an association directing its focus on the IT industry. Due to this partnership with CompTIA, as a graduate of this programme, you will qualify to write the CompTIA exams, at no additional cost to you. This is for the first sitting only and subject to you being on time with your study schedule and that you have not switched from the initial programme you enrolled for.
Possible career options
Love the thought of programming?
The career choices for you, as a Higher Certificate in Information Systems (Engineering Development) graduate, include junior positions in:
- Network administration
- Database administration