Bachelor of Science in Information Technology
Yes. Mid-year intake starts the same date as Semester 2.
Minimum: 3 years
Maximum: 6 years
Qualification start date
Semester 1: February
(duration 3 years)
Semester 2: July
(duration 3.5 years)
The multidisciplinary nature of this degree prepares you for work in many areas in the Information Technology industry.
You will develop a broad theoretical foundation in various core areas of information technology such as information systems, computer science, software development, database design and project management. You will also develop practical skills with an emphasis on managing operating systems, designing software, analysing systems, building network applications and programming. Over and above this, you will cover topics such as human-computer interaction, internet server management, e-commerce and social practices and security.
You will also develop essential skills for the world of work, such as analytical and abstract thinking, effective decision-making, self-discipline, being innovative, adapting to change, working in teams and communicating effectively.
- You need a South Africa National Senior Certificate (NSC) with Bachelor degree entry or an equivalent foreign secondary qualification on an NSC level with Bachelor degree entry approved by Universities South Africa (USAF).
- If you have an international school-leaving certificate, you need to provide a certificate of exemption issued by Universities South Africa (USAF).
- You should have successfully completed a relevant higher certificate qualification. On successful completion of the higher certificate, students are required to apply to Universities South Africa (USAF) for a certificate of exemption in order to be admitted to a degree programme.
- Accredited by the Higher Education Quality Committee (HEQC) of the Council on Higher Education (CHE).
- Registered with the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA).
Possible career options
Ever wish you could design your own Apps?
The career choices for you, as a Bachelor of Science in Information Technology graduate, are varied and employment opportunities exist in both IT and in business:
- Database administration
- IT management
- Software development
- Systems analysis and design