Bachelor of Science in Biotechnology Management
Students are accepted to start their studies of selected subjects at the start of the second semester.
Minimum: 3 years
Maximum: 5 years
Qualification start date
Semester 1: February
Semester 2: July
The BSc (Biotechnology Management) prepares you for work in many areas of biotechnology and is an excellent foundation for careers in medical and scientific research, agriculture management, food technology, technical sales and academia.
Our degree provides you with a solid theoretical and intensive practical foundation in microbiology, molecular biology, plant physiology and agricultural biotechnology with an emphasis on application based research, managing projects and using technology. You will cover a range of core modules such as Animal and Plant Biology, Agricultural Economics and Environmental Biotechnology, Protein Biochemistry and Analytical Chemistry. You will also cover subject areas such as Computer Skills, Mathematics for Science Students, Quantitative Techniques, and Clinical Trials.
We offer you an environment that combines theory, research and practical application. We have excellent facilities such as computer and science labs and quality lecture rooms. Our curriculum is relevant, current and industry led. We ensure that you graduate with essential work skills such as analytical thinking, meeting deadlines, problem solving, collaborating in teams
- You need a South African National Senior Certificate (NSC) with Bachelor degree entry or an equivalent foreign secondary qualification on an NSC level with Bachelor degree entry approved by Universities South Africa (USAF).
- If you have an international school-leaving certificate, you need to provide a certificate of exemption issued by Universities South Africa (USAF).
- You should have successfully completed the relevant Pearson Institute foundation programme. On successful completion of the foundation programme, students are required to apply to Universities South Africa (USAF) for a certificate of exemption in order to be admitted to a degree programme.
- You should have successfully completed a relevant higher certificate qualification. On successful completion of the higher certificate, students are required to apply to Universities South Africa (USAF) for a certificate of exemption in order to be admitted to a degree programme.
- You need 32 or more Pearson Institute points.
- You need 50% or above for Grade 12 English.
- You need 50% or above for Grade 12 Mathematics.
- You need 50% or above for Grade 12 Biology/Life Sciences.
- The points attained for the best two of the subjects of Biology/Life Sciences, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics and Physical Science must be doubled.
- Accredited by the Higher Education Quality Committee (HEQC) of the Council on Higher Education (CHE).
- Registered with the South African Qualifications
Possible career options
Be part of the scientific discoveries ahead.
The careers for you, as a Bachelor of Science in Biotechnology Management graduate, are varied and include:
- Plant, agricultural and waste management
- Project management
- Scientific Communications
- Technical positions in laboratories and Production
- Technical positions in the food industry
- Technical sales