Bachelor of Science in Biomedicine
Students are accepted to start their studies of selected subjects at the start of the second semester.
Minimum: 3 years
Maximum: 5 years
Qualification start date
Semester 1: February
Semester 2: July
The BSc (Biomedicine) prepares you for work in the dynamic and rapidly advancing world of biomedical science and technology.
This is an extremely demanding yet highly rewarding qualification. You will develop a broad theoretical foundation in human physiology, molecular biology, microbiology and pharmacology, with an emphasis on application based research and the use of technology. You will cover a range of applied-biology core modules such as Applied Chemistry, Immunology, Biopharmaceutical Marketing and Medical Biotechnology. You will also cover subjects such as Computer Skills, Mathematics for Science Students, Quantitative Techniques and Clinical Trials.
We offer you an environment that combines theory, research and practical application. In addition, we have excellent facilities such as computer and science labs and quality lecture rooms. We ensure that you graduate with essential work skills such as critical and analytical thinking, effective problem solving, collaborating in teams and communicating effectively.
- You need a South African National Senior Certificate (NSC) with Bachelor degree entry or an equivalent foreign secondary qualification on an NSC level with Bachelor degree entry approved by Universities South Africa (USAF).
- If you have an international school-leaving certificate, you need to provide a certificate of exemption issued by Universities South Africa (USAF).
- You should have successfully completed the relevant Pearson Institute foundation programme. On successful completion of the foundation programme, students are required to apply to Universities South Africa (USAF) for a certificate of exemption in order to be admitted to a degree programme.
- You should have successfully completed a relevant higher certificate qualification. On successful completion of the higher certificate, students are required to apply to Universities South Africa (USAF) for a certificate of exemption in order to be admitted to a degree
- You need 32 or more Pearson Institute points.
- You need 50% or above for Grade 12 English.
- You need 50% or above for Grade 12 Mathematics.
- You need 50% or above for Grade 12 Biology/Life Sciences.
- The points attained for the best two of the
subjects of Biology/Life Sciences, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics and Physical Science must be doubled.
- Accredited by the Higher Education Quality Committee (HEQC) of the Council on Higher Education (CHE).
- Registered with the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA).
Possible career options
Start exploring the world through a microscope.
The careers for you, as a Bachelor of Science in Biomedicine graduate, are varied and include:
- Project management Research
- Scientific Communications
- Technical positions in laboratories
- Technical sales